Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How Not To Get The Gig.

This afternoon I received a phone call that went something like this:

Me: Hello?
Him: Hey, ah, are you the guy who books the acts for that "Out Of Control Show"?
Me: Yep.
Him: I want to talk to you about working there. My name is _______________ and I've worked _________________, ______,_____ & ______. I'm the best in this town.
Me: Oh really?
Him: I met the guy who does the show there. I can't remember his name.
Me: Tony Brent.
Him: Brant?
Me: Tony Brent.
Him: Does he still work for you?
Me: He is me.
Him: Oh. How do you say your name again?
Me: Tony Brent.
Him: Do you need fill-ins?
Me: Not at this time.
Him: If you saw me you would use me instead of them.
Me: You think?
HIm: I'd like to audition.
Me: Why don't you just send me a video or website link?
HIm: Okay, but I'd really like to see you in person. I know you would use me instead of them.
Me: Email me some info and I'll get back to you, okay?
Him: Okay
Me: Bye

First off, some back story; this same guy has been calling me about every other year for the past eight years or so. I remembered his name but I let him dig himself deeper since he really didn't give me time to talk anyway. He has never remembered my name, nor does he really know any facts about the show, venue, etc.. He is so consumed with telling me how great he is that he doesn't stop to get any information.

He seemed to have forgotten that he was so belligerent the last time he called that I actually hung up on him. During that call he said that, "I was a fool not to hire him since he was so much better than any magician in Orlando".

Even if this guy's performing chops were so righteous that I would bleed tears of joy just by witnessing a few seconds of his awesomeness, I would never, ever in a million years hire him.

Peace,

Tony

2 comments:

  1. Tony,

    Having been lucky enough to steal a few minutes of the spotlight on that stage I was humbled by just how difficult a venue it really is.

    Sounds like this guy is a magician who is, like so many, only focused on how good his tricks are. Nevermind what an audience might think or whether they'd be entertained or not.

    Anybody going into that room thinking their tricks alone will carry the day has very rude awakening coming their way.

    Robert Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I'll stop callin'...sorry.

    ReplyDelete